As back copies of most of the magazines are unavailable we will make the articles available through the website. Currrently not all the articles are available but articles are being added from time to time.
Sean Barden “Armagh’s first car.”
Armagh’s first motor car belonged to a Mr Joseph Atkinson, who was Clerk to the County Council at the beginning of the 20th century.
Sean Barden “Armagh’s Victorian shops.”
An examination of the shops in Armagh based on the collection of billheads in the County Museum.
Sean Barden “The ballad of Lenny Dobbin: elections, ballads and buildings projects.”
The ballad takes a rather defamatory view of the man who built one of the city’s best known streets. The motives for the Dobbin Street project are questioned and he is slated as a hypocrite and opportunist.
Sean Barden “The Dirty River: Armagh’s hidden watercourse.”
Known simply as the Dirty River. Victorian sanitary engineers unkindly described it as “main sewer No. 12” but it was always a natural watercourse and in the eighteenth century was popularly known as the Scotch Street river.
Sean Barden “Druid’s circles and vanishing stones
In 1913 a local man, Patrick Downey compiled a book of historical notes that is now held in the collection of the Cardinal Ó Fiaich Library in Armagh. Among the contents are interesting notes identifying several antiquities near the Navan Fort.
Sean Barden “What was Lisanally Lane for?”
Some theories as to the purpose of Lisanally Lane.
Cormac Burke “Brian was here.”
Brian Boru in Armagh in 1004 and 1014.
Andrew Dawson “Dr. Peter Drelincourt 1644-1720.”
Dr. Peter Drelincourt is commemorated by a monument in St Patrick’s Cathedral and was the sixth son of Charles I. The name Drelincourt is also perpetuated in Armagh by the Drelincourt Primary School, which was founded by the Dean’s widow and is still in use.
Andrew Dawson “The Reverend Thomas Carpendale AM.”
This article tells the story of the headmaster and the “barring out” incident at the Royal School..
Madeline Devlin “Memories of Mr. Holden.”
Mr. T.W. Holden was the organist in St. Patrick’s Cathedral and known affectionately as ‘Dicky’.
Des Fitzgerald “20th century railway accidents.”
The dreadful 1889 disaster dwarfs in scale and importance all other railway accidents, not only in Armagh but also in Ireland, but there have been many other railway fatalities in the county. Some of the twentieth century accidents are recorded here.
Des Fitzgerald “Michael Collins in Armagh.”
Michael Collins’ visit to Armagh on 4th September, 1921 and it’s sequel.
Brian Gilmore “George Pilkington of Tynan.”
The story of an 18th century clockmaker.
Marjorie Halligan “From undertakers to funeral directors.”
The development of the profession in Armagh.
Marjorie Halligan “I give and bequeath.”
A study of the wills of three of the Molyneux family of Castledillon which give a nice perspective on the family as they span the eighteenth, nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
Marjorie Halligan “Indelible Memories.”
Memories of Marjorie’s father during WWII.
Marjorie Halligan “Name Forgot: Armagh Church of Ireland Parish registers.”
Based on her work in transcribing the records of St. Marks in Armagh Marjorie looks at the change in the information recorded over the years.
Marjorie Halligan “Powerful connections.”
The visits of Michael Collins and Ian Paisley to Armagh.
Marjorie Halligan “A practitioner in the tonsorial art”.“
The story of Henry Sling (1835-1909) of Upper English Street, Armagh.
Marjorie Halligan “Scotch Street: Settling on a name”
An early history of Scotch Street.
David Hamill “The Markethill – Newry railway Line.”
A poem lamenting the passing of the railway.
Michael Joyce “Green Fields of France.”
The story of Willie McBride featured in Eric Bogle’s song.
Gerard McAtasney “Parishoners protect pauper prisoners.”
The treatment of the poor from the early 1800s to the introduction of the Poor Laws in 1838.
Gerard McAtasney “Typhus fever in Armagh – 1817.”
A selection of death notices from the Belfast Newsletter which illustrate how, over a period of four months in 1817, even those most exalted in Armagh society were not immune to the effects of this epidemic. .
Catherine McCullough “Go Down the Nine Steps The Stocks, Pillory and Session House in 18th-19th Century Armagh.”
This article traces the story of Armagh’s old prison in Market Street.
Paul McManus “The Manor House School: Milford’s private girls’ school.”
A history of the school from its opening in 1938 to its closure in 1967.
Mary McVeigh “Armagh a century ago.”
News from the local press in 1909.
Mary McVeigh “Armagh takes to the water.”
This article follows the enthusiasm and excitement when a swimming baths opened at the Folly in July 1918.
Mary McVeigh “As others saw us.”
How visitors have described the City of Armagh over the years.
Mary McVeigh “Holy Ann: Markethill’s forgotten female saint.”
The story of Ann Preston never achieved any visible material success or position of importance throughout her long life. Her only claim to fame was her religious fervour and commitment, which, it would appear, made a lasting impression on those who came in contact with her. .
Mary McVeigh “Red Ned’s: the story of an Armagh Pub.” The history of the pub from it’s early days to the present day.
Mary McVeigh “Serving King and Country.”
Armagh Barracks in 1901.
Mary McVeigh “Votes for women.”
The Armagh suffrage movement and the involvement of Mary Edith Cope and others.
Amanda Moreno “It should have been over by Christmas. Part 1.” The story of some of the county Armagh men in the Royal Irish Fusiliers in the early years of the World War I.
Gerry Oates “The Campbells are Comin’.”
A study of the Campbell surname.
Gerry Oates “Crime and punishment in 17th Century
A perusal of the facts recorded in the Ulster Roll of Gaol Delivery in the County of Armagh.
Gerry Oates “Origins of some Armagh place-names.”
Gerry Oates “Some Armagh surnames.”
The derivation of some early Armagh surnames including Haughey, Donnelly McConville, and O’Toole/Toal.
James O’Neill & Paul Logue “Charlemont Fort: a brief guide.”
The story of the fort from it’s beginnings in the early 1600s to it’s closure and levelling in the mid 1800s.
“Postcards of Market Street.”
Kevin Quinn “Armagh windmill: the City’s forgotten landmark.”
In 2010 Armagh Windmill will have graced the city’s skyline for 200 years, this article sheds some light on its history.
Kevin Quinn “The great 1936 Umgola betting coup.”
The story of Blue Star’s victory was in the Berks Selling Handicap at Newbury on Wednesday 10 June 1936.
Kevin Quinn “The Lost Castle of Armagh.”
This article considers the evidence for a castle in Castle Street.
Kevin Quinn “Mill Row memories 1914-1970.”
The memories of the Hennessy and Johnston families of Mill Row.
Kevin Quinn “The School Lane cow doctor and other forgotten eighteenth century occupations Armagh.”
A look at some of the occupations listed in Lodge’s 1770 census of Armagh.
Kevin Quinn “St Patrick’s Road: Armagh’s lost ancient thoroughfare.”
The story of an ancient road between Armagh and Emain Mhacha believed to have been used by St Patrick.
Greer Ramsay “Music and Archaeology.”
This article traces the links between Irish high crosses and Sardinian musicians.
Vincent Turley “Chapel Lane of the past: The Story of three houses.”
Taking three houses in Chapel Lane, Armagh as his focal point Vincent Turley traces the development of the town’s ‘little palaces’.
Eric Villiers “Armagh’s forgotten international star.”
The story of Mary Connolly.
Eric Villiers “Commemorative postcards celebrate penalty king.”
Armagh City FC, formerly Milford Everton, are to publish a set of commemorative postcards to celebrate the club’s association with William McCrum, the Victorian linen magnate who gave football the penalty kick.
Eric Villiers “Connecting with Ulysses.”
This article describes some of the local characters and local references to be found in Ulysses.
Eric Villiers “From corner shop to a €2.17billion turnover.”
From Charles McCann’s shop in Railway Street to Fyffes PLC.
Eric Villiers “Rail crash impacts on Michael Collins’ election 32 years later.
The diaries of Joseph Holliday and his description of the 1921 election and the role of Dr William Lawrence, a relief worker in the City hospital during the Armagh railway disaster of 1889.
Eric Villiers “A ripping yarn from Percy French.
According to Brendan O’Dowda – in his 1981 book on Percy French – Jack McKenna from Armagh had contacted him with a lovely anecdote that illustrated the great man’s humility.
Eric Villiers “Sioux fighter returns for WWI.”
The story of an Armagh man, John Donnelly in the US Army.
Eric Villiers “There was a big ship sailing across her arse…”
Extracts from a memoir of an Armagh woman who emigrated to the United States, about her early life in Armagh.
Eric Villiers “Third Armagh produced world famous temperance activist.”
The story of the Rev R.J. Patterson and the Catch-My-Pal Union.
Richard Warner “An Armagh warrior enjoyed his pint – 3000 years ago.”
Three bronze age artefacts found at Haughey’s Fort.
D.R.M. Weatherup “The Armagh Workhouse Alias Tower Hill hospital .”
A history of the workhouse from its inception to its current use.
D.R.M. Weatherup “The Old Order Changeth.”
The author’s memories of Armagh and the County Museum in the 1950s.